Thứ Ba, 7 tháng 4, 2009

Easter bird houses

Easter bird house stack
Easter bird houses from above
As it's coming up to Easter, I thought it would be fun to make myself some Easter-themed decorations. I'd already made some Easter birds and Easter mushrooms, but I also wanted some place settings for the table.

Thinking about the place settings reminded me of some mini wooden bird feeders that I'd bought and decorated for Christmas a few years ago. But that's another story, and one that I'll come back to later in the year.

As birds are synonymous with Easter, I bought another six of the bird feeders thinking they'd be perfect as the place settings. So, here's how I went about decorating them...

Plain bird feeders
The feeders come in a pack of six. I ordered one box as I wanted one for each table setting.


Primed wooden bird feeder
Primed wooden bird feeder
I removed the rope from the top and painted each feeder in a water-based white wood primer. A couple of coats were needed.


Painted wooden bird feeder
Wooden bird feeders in Easter colours
I decided to paint the roofs and bases in colours from my Easter sketch book. I took it with me to the DIY store, and found tester pots in the following colours: Woodland Glade, Willow, Ice Pink, and Amethyst (all Focus matt emulsion).

I painted the roof and base of each feeder a different colour, and masking taped the areas I wanted to keep white.


Gluing nests into wooden bird feeders
Easter wooden bird feeders with nests
Continuing the bird theme, I found some mini birds nests, which I attached to the centre of each house with PVA glue.


Ribbon hanging loops
Attaching the ribbon hanging loops
For the tops, I made some new hanging loops using ribbon. I knotted the ends together and PVA glued a bead in place to stop the ribbon slipping through the hole at the top of the feeder. After feeding the ribbon through the hole in the feeder, I glued it in place.


Completed Easter wooden bird house
Completed Easter wooden bird house
Finally, I filled the nests with mini foil covered chocolate eggs and, Voila!

Now my place settings are ready for Easter. I can't wait to decorate the table this Sunday!

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét